Thursday, February 18, 2010

It Can't Always Be Good











I'm sorry, but if no one else will say it, I surely will: The Alexander Wang fall 2010 collection was not only disappointing but extremely unattractive. I started out feeling optimistic about going to the show. I mean, Wang is beloved by all. How could the pretty boy who did so well from seasons past go so wrong? Well, for starters, it was the notion of trying to be "ultra cool." We all know that Wang has this cool factor. He has thrived on being the bad ass designer without really being bad. He received his official "darling" pass from the fashion media about three seasons ago, making him the designer that everyone (no matter what your taste) loved. It was Wang this and Wang that, and maybe that got to his head a bit. He forgot that what makes something traditionally "cool" is not knowing you are cool yourself. With this collection, it was obvious he thought, Well, everyone loves me anyway... I can do no wrong. The models came out with (forgive my language) cum/gooped hair that was just disgusting and flat. The makeup was goth with subtle hints of color (nothing to write home about). It was as if he was saying "fuck off" to the world with this gastly collection. Second, the clothing did not look new. In fact, for the most part, it looked cheap and weathered. If I'm paying crazy prices for a piece of clothing, the pieces better look luxe. Oh, and the shoes. Well if you like big and clunky a la Steve Madden back in ’93.... then Wang is your man. And if you liked those shoes, you will definitely love the bell-bottom leggings. Really? Bell-bottom leggings Wang? It's a bit pretentious and too cool for school. We know you are "edgy" Wang, you don't have to do this to us to prove it. Wang we don't want to lose you, but you lost most of us with this collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Addiction is never a good thing, but sometimes it's just what you need in order to make you happy. In my case, my shoe addiction has consumed every aspect of my life. I wonder about shoes constantly, conjure up styles that don't even exist, go crazy over anything from bougie heels to lowbrow knockoffs, drool over any stylish concoctions, and fawn over my ludicrous collection, which you will see through my weird photoshoot. (I will also showcase some heels on other peoples feet.) I am secretly an Imelda Marcos hater who does not like cheese.

On it